Atlanta has somehow become a craft beer mecca with some of the greatest beer bars in the world. This is a tribute to the beers and the bars.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Flemish Red beer class at The Porter

As I said yesterday, I'll update when I figure out what beers will be sampled in class, and here they are.

Duchesse de Bourgogne: I think it's safe to say that this is the most popular Flemish red and it was my first.  It's rich, sour, and sweet (like most Flemish sours available it has some sugar added at the end to make it easier to drink, but I find it a little too sweet).  I've drunk it many times and it got me started on my sour beer quest.

Monk's Cafe: I had this at Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia.  It's brewed for them by a Belgian brewer.  It's a little more muted than Duchesse in virtually every way, but still a good beer.

Bacchus: This is apparently a fairly straight forward Flemish red.  I would imagine that it will be similar to the Monk's Cafe, but we'll see.


Ichethem Grand Cru: Reviews around sound like this one might lean a little more towards sweet.  I don't tend to put much stock into online reviews of sour beers though, as I rarely agree with overall consensus, so who knows.

Andelot Proefbrouwerij Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale: This one isn't actually a Flemish red.  It's a strong Belgian pale brewed with Brett (wild) yeast.  I'm curious if it's going to lean more towards a funky saison like Hennepin or more like the trappist Orval.

Should be fun and hopefully I'll learn some stuff.  It's next Wednesday (Feb 17) at 7:30. It's usually $30.  Make reservations at (404)233-0293.

No comments:

Post a Comment